Re: Sudden appearances of fossils

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Tue, 13 Jun 95 20:20:05 EDT

James

On Sun, 11 Jun 1995 13:16:56 -0500 (CDT) you wrote:

JM>In a recent post, ( Sat, 10 Jun 95 09:34:01 EDT - topic
>Re: Gradual Morphological Change) Stephen Jones said in response

SJ>to something that Glen said: "Yes. If Glenn's models were true,
>we would expect to see continuing "Cambrian Explosions". Why was
>there only one?"

JM>Although the Cambrian explosion was a dramatic one and one
>that does not fit well with a gradualistic model

Indeed it blows it completely out of the water! <g> Gould says:

"Three billion years of unicellularity, followed by five million years
of intense creativity and then capped by more than 500 million years
of variation on set anatomical themes can scarcely be read as a
predictable, inexorable or continuous trend toward progress or
increasing complexity."

(Gould S.J., "The Evolution of Life on the Earth",
Scientific American, October 1994, p67).

JM>it is not true that there were not other sudden increases in Taxa
>at various times in the fossil record.

I did not claim that there were not other sudden increases in taxa at
other times. Indeed, the Progressive Creation model would predict
it. But these later "explosions" involved already existing body plans.

JM>I might also add that most of the
>chaps studying the fossils of the Cambrian would say it is less
>dramatic than was previously thought.

Well Gould must be sadly out of touch then, because as late as