re: inherently anti-thestic?

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sun, 11 Jun 95 16:48:29 EDT

Bill

On Wed, 7 Jun 1995 15:10:06 -0500 you wrote:

>Stephen wrote
SJ>The question is not whether "Evolution is a scientific theory", but
>whether or not it is *inherently* an anti-theistic theory.
>
>I said
BH>My perception is that it is a contradiction in terms to claim that
>a scientific theory is anti-theistic. Scientific theories deal with
>natural phenonena, not with first causes or supernatural or spiritual
>issues. _People_ can be anti-theistic, and they can even try to
>enlist the support of scientific theories for their anti-thestic
>positions. But I believe it is illogical to say that a scientific
>theory is anti-theistic.

I agree. I was not asking whether "a scientific theory is
anti-theistic", but whether "*Evolution* (ie. the metaphysical
concept)...is *inherently* ...anti-theistic...".

I apologise if I worded it badly but I was picking up what someone
else had posted and used their terms.

See my reply to Loren for further details.

BH>I shouldn't have to add this, but just to ensure there is no
>possible misunderstanding: _If_ it were possible for a scientific
>theory to be anti-theistic, _and_ if I believed evolution to be
>anti-theistic, then I would be in the trenches with you, Stephen.

I was not aware that I am "in the trenches", Bill! <g> I hope you are
still not typecasting me as an anti-scientific, fundamentalist YEC.

BH>Please understand that. The issue is one of truth and defending
>the search for it, not how I would like things to be.

I think we all want that. But the problem is what terminological and
conceptual spectacles we wear in searching for that "truth".

You may wish to ponder what Carl F.H. Henry said about "the
fundamental contrast between the Hebrew-Christian doctrine of creation
and the Greek-modern doctrine of evolution" and "the terminology of
debate today" being "largely fixed not by the theological endeavour
but by...the secular philosophy of science which today holds the
ideological initiative" (Henry C.F.H., "Science and Religion", in
Henry C.F.H., ed., "Contemporary Evangelical Thought: A Survey",
1968, Baker, p252)?

God bless.

Stephen