Re: The Deistic Robot

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Thu, 01 Jun 95 21:34:47 EDT

>It would seem to
>me that both pieces of data, scriptural and scientific should be examined
>together. Hopefully this process will produce a wholly consistent view of
>the world and scripture.

This is a worthy goal, but not essential for salvation and probably
not attainable anyway.

>To go the direction that Ramm goes, where there are
>mutliple Truths, bothers me a lot.
Ramm does not say that. He in fact said that "In science the
principle of inter-subjectivity or objectivity prevails." But not
in "religion", where it is a right heart relationship with God that
ultimately counts.

>Are there multiple Truths about the Flood? There was both a global
>and non-global flood?

Of course there is only one truth. In the end the Flood was either:
1. global; 2. local; or 3. neither (ie. a. non-existent, or
b. mythical, etc).

But from a salvation point of view 1. or 2. are identical; and
even 3b. is still possible. 3a would probably falsify Christianity.

I notice you capitalised "Truth". This might be a typo, but in case it
wasn't, Jesus taught His disciples to look to Him as the ultimate
Truth (John 14:6).

>Just because the
>impure do not see God does not mean God is irrelevant to their lives. There
>is and must be only one truth, truth for the non-christian, christian and
>scientist. If we can't agree on this standard of truth, then communication
>will be very difficult.

Glenn, I think you are ignoring the fact that the natural man is dead
in sin (Eph 2:1) and cannot understand spiritual things (1Cor 2:14).
Therefore "communication *will* be very difficult"!

>Stephen wrote:
>"You are not in your "country" when you are on the Internet Glenn.
>Believe it or not, the USA is not the whole world! <g> Besides, I
>doubt if your stereotype is even true of the USA."
>
>That may be true but a glance at the list of reflectorites shows me that the
>vast, vast majority of them are in the US with a secondary population from
>Canada which also has a sizable number of citizens who believe in young earth
>creationism.. Thus, what I say has wide applicability for the reflector.
>Believe it or not, you have joined a predominately US listserve.

It might be true of the USA, but I (an a number of others) are not
in the USA! It is an international listserv and it should be oriented
as such.

>Stephen Jones wrote:
>If fundamentalists have overreacted against science, the blame I
>believe is at least equally shared by the scientific establishment,
>who have used their privileged, taxpayer funded position to advance
>their own materialistic/atheistic agenda and attack Christianity.
>
>Glenn, there is a spiritual war going on. On one side is "the
>dragon...the beast and..the false prophet" (Rev 16:13). On the other
>are the saints - which include YECs! (Rev 13:7). Perhaps we need to
>ponder again these things?"
>**endquote**
>
>I do not believe that it is good to blame anyone other than those who are
>guilty. Deu. 24:16 says "Fathers shall not be put to death for their
>children, nor children put to death for their fathers; each is to die for his
>own sin."
>
>Thus, if fundamentalists have overreacted, it is the fault of the
>fundamentalist, not that of the scientists.

Perhaps, but are scientists not to blame at all?

>I know that there is a spiritual war going on, and the YEC's are my brothers,
>but that does not give any of us the right to use known error in support of
>our side. We all sin and we all make mistakes, but when the error becomes
>known, it is not ethical nor honest, nor glorifying God to continue to use
>erroneous arguments in support of Truth.

This of course assumes that the YEC know they are wrong. I think this
is a naive view of human nature, and its capacity for self-delusion,
Ps 19:12 "Who can discern his errors? Forgive my hidden faults."

God bless.

Stephen