Re: Hiddenness of God

Stephen Jones (sjones@iinet.com.au)
Sat, 27 May 95 10:25:30 EDT

Bill (& Jim)

On Thu, 25 May 1995 10:41:09 -0500 you wrote:

>Jim Bell's posting on the hiddenness of God reminded me to go dig up a hymn
>I've planned to post for a while, but keep forgetting to:
>
>Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise
>Walter Chalmers Smith
>
>Immortal, invisible, God only wise,
>In light inaccessible hid from our eyes,
>Most blessed, most glorius, the Ancient of Days,
>Almighty, victorious, Thy great name we praise.

[...]

>Great Father of glory, pure Father of light,
>Thine angels adore Thee, all veiling their sight;
>All praise we would render: O help us to see
>'Tis only the splendor of light hideth Thee.

>It would be interesting to find all the Scripture this one refers to --
>there's quite a bit.

The Baptist Hymn Book, gives "1 Tim. i. 17" as the scripture
reference:

1Tim 1:17 "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only
wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen."

>I love it all, but especialy note the last line of the last stanza.

Yes. The theistic sentiments expressed seem as far removed from the
assumptions and world-view of materialistic-naturalist science as one
could imagine. I wonder if those scientists who are Christians really
appreciate this difference?

Stephen