Re: image of Bible character

From: <SatTeacher@aol.com>
Date: Tue Dec 28 2004 - 07:29:35 EST

The only known picture of a Hebrew king is of King Jehu at the British Museum
on The Black Limestone Obelisk which is 6.5 feet tall. It is from the time
of Shalmaneser III. The obelisk has four sides all covered with pictures and
writing, recording (among other things) how Jehu king of Israel paid homage
to Shalmaneser. Jehu is named and shown prostrating himself before
Shalmaneser and the Assyrian quote translated says, "I received from him silver, gold, a
golden bowl, golden goblets, pitchers of gold, tin a staff for the hand of
the king..." I saw this about 2 weeks ago and am citing information from Peter
Master's wonderful book, Heritage of Evidence in the British Museum, p. 16.
I highly recommend this small well documented paper back and also a
publication by Day One called Through the British Museum with the Bible.

Helen Martin