Re: Shedd on Concursus

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Sun Dec 26 2004 - 19:34:28 EST

Apologies for my careless reading.

"Ongoing providential support of the created order" avoids - as I suggested earlier - an avoidance of the ideas that God utilizes creatures as secondary causes. This is more characteristic of Reformed than of Lutheran or RC treatments.

Schmid (Doctrinal Theology of the Evangelical Lutheran Church) begins his discussion of the problem of evil by saying:

"The most difficult problem in the science of theology is that of exhibiting the method of the divine concurrence in the evil actions of men, without at the same time in any wise throwing the blame of the evil upon the first cause, i.e., upon God. The Dogmaticians apply for this purpose two formulae: God concurs in producing the effect, not the defect; God concurs as to the materials, not as to the form." (The 2 formulae cited are from, respectively, Quenstedt and Hollaz).

Unfortunately many discussions of the theodicy problem are primarily philosophical & of little use. An theodicy that isn't grounded in the cross is of little value.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/