Re: Antony Flew shifts his position due to scientific evidence

From: <SteamDoc@aol.com>
Date: Sun Dec 12 2004 - 16:10:49 EST

[I think I accidentally sent this yesterday from my nonsubscribed account --
so Terry if you see another copy in the quque just delete it.]

The quote from Flew in the story is telling in my opinion:

---------------------
Flew said he was best labeled a deist, like Thomas Jefferson, whose God was
not actively involved in people’s lives.
“I’m thinking of a God very different from the God of the Christian and far
and away from the God of Islam, because both are depicted as omnipotent
Oriental despots, cosmic Saddam Husseins,” he said. “It could be a person in the
sense of a being that has intelligence and a purpose, I suppose.”
---------------------

It looks to me like acceptance of some form of the Design argument has left
Flew in just as much darkness as he was previously, no closer to salvation in
Christ.  That's one danger of Jesus-free apologetics.  I don't know if he had
Christians convincing him of the design argument, but if so one must wonder if
their time would have been better invested showing him that the Chrstian God
as revealed in Jesus (and one would hope in the life of Christians) is not a
"cosmic Saddam Hussein."

Dr. Allan H. Harvey, Boulder, Colorado | SteamDoc@aol.com
"Any opinions expressed here are mine, and should not be
 attributed to my employer, my wife, or my cats"