RE: Scientific theory

From: <Dawsonzhu@aol.com>
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 07:58:25 EST

Moorad wrote:

>I view different species as Gaussian curves centered about different centers--they may even be close to Dirac delta-functions in comparison with the separation between different species. A dog can vary within that Gaussian curve and still remain a dog. What does that have to do with evolution? Do the supports of these Gaussians overlap so that one species can continuously go into another? Similarly for viruses. Do they really become anything but a slightly different virus---but still laying within its own Gaussian?

If you want to call every single retovirus "the same thing" maybe.

Since the difference in proteins between a chimps and a human is
less that 1%, and the more distant the organisms are, the
greater that difference in those proteins that are in common,
I cannot see that you have any serious argument there.
What you really make a case for is punctuated evolution:
that the events occur as a result of some kind of stress.

Frankly, the fact that HIV has progress as rapidly as it has
should be something that concerns everyone. The faster it
gets into the population, the fast it will affect everyone.
I guess that _will_ surely solve the population problem.

Wayne