Re: How Did Gentry Get Published in PSCF?

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Thu Dec 09 2004 - 20:25:04 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alexanian, Moorad" <alexanian@uncw.edu>
To: "Mccarrick Alan D CRPH" <MccarrickAD@nswccd.navy.mil>; <asa@calvin.edu>
Cc: "Dick Fischer" <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 4:41 PM
Subject: RE: How Did Gentry Get Published in PSCF?

> The question of energy in general relativity is still a problem. See
> http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/gr-qc/pdf/0403/0403107.pdf

Yes but the problems have to do with the localization of energy. As far as
BB models are concerned, the Friedmann-Lemaitre equation for the
cosmological scale factor can be derived from the good old energy intergral
of the equation ogf motion of a test particle in a gravitational field -
with the inclusion of the potential associated with the cosmological term.
(This is, BTW, rigorous because in a uniform 3-space one can apply the
procedure to a speher so small that the weak field approximation is valid.)
& in terms of GRT, the solutions of the Einstein equations representing
expanding universes of course satisfay the condition that the covariant
divergence of the energy-momentum tensor vanishes.

I haven't gotten my copy of PSCF yet so can't comment on details of Gentry's
argument but if he indeed thinks that energy conservation is violated, he's
wrong.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/