Dr. Jonathan Sarfati should have known better 8-10 years ago

From: <webmaster@edwardtbabinski.us>
Date: Fri Dec 03 2004 - 15:12:50 EST

Quote from:
http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/0926ep2.asp
Top: Ambulocetus skeleton, as drawn in Miller's book
Middle: Ambulocetus reconstruction, as drawn in Miller's book
Bottom: Actual bones found (Yellow). Note missing pelvic girdle.
http://www.answersingenesis.org/pbs_nova/ambulocetus.gif

The question that comes to mind is if this was a deliberate attempt to
mislead AiG readers, or simply an oversight due to negligence on behalf of
Dr. Jonathan Sarfati? The fossil certainly does include backbone, leg bones,
and pelvic bones. As is noted in the paraphrased excerpt below from National
Geographic, Professor Hans Thewissen was discussing the spine of Ambulocetus
as early as 1994, it would seem Answers in Genesis would be aware of this
fact, ten years later.

Dr. Jonathan Sarfati:
On p. 265, Miller claimed, 'the animal could move easily both on land and in
water', and contained a drawing of a complete skeleton and a reconstructed
animal. But this is misleading, bordering on deceitful, and indicative of
Miller's unreliability, because there was no indication of the fact that far
fewer bones were actually found than appear in his diagram. Crucially, the
all-important pelvic girdle was not found (see diagram, right). Without
this, it's presumptuous for Miller to make that proclamation.

------------

I could not help but to notice your rendering of Ambulocetus, and how it
portrays a lot of bones supposedly being missing from the fossil.

Your sketch is drastically misleading Dr. Sarfati. We have a photo image of
the Ambulocetus skeleton and it not only contains the entire pelvic region
but it contains all the primary leg bones as well.
http://www.edwardtbabinski.us/babinski/ambulocetus.jpg

Also, you portray the spine missing and it's certainly not missing.
Please do update your fossil info.

Best regards

------------------

It's worse than I presumed. I read over the article I had dug out from a
1994 National Geographic magazine, [paraphrased in our whale article],
Thewissen was well on the way of discussing the spine of this creature:

"In a May 1994 issue of National Geographic, it reports the find of
Ambulocetus in a former inland sea of Pakistan. Thewissen dubbed the ancient
whale fossil Ambulocetus natans for "swimming, walking whale". He explains,
on land it would lumber like a sea lion, and "it would look clumsy, but it
could still get around." His team recovered much of the fossil including a
skull which identified the fossil as a cetacean. The spine indicates the
creature moved in similar fashion to modern whales, using its lower back in
an up and down motion, while using its hind limbs for propulsion. It's
forelimbs are believed to have been used for steering."