Re: The wee people

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. <dfsiemensjr@juno.com>
Date: Sun Oct 31 2004 - 21:45:33 EST

Don,
I evidently should have explained that I used "knowledge" in a strict
philosopher's sense. The common definition (inadequate) is "justified
true belief." I have no objection to a looser sense, indeed, am happy to
speak of scientific knowledge while recognizing that it may change,
though truth is one and unchanging. I should add that there is a relevant
difference between the knowledge (loose sense) that may be transmitted
from person to person and the inner witness God grants us.

I say dogmatically that there is no proof of God's existence. Yes, there
are evidences, and there are claimed proofs. But some years back I
pointed out the hole in a claimed proof. ("A Response to Williams'
Theistic Argument," Bulletin of the Evangelical Philosophical Society,
15:37-41 (1992)).The literature contains discussions of the holes in the
standard arguments. In the absence of proof we do not know (strict sense)
that God exists. Therefore the life of the Christian is one of faith, not
knowledge. Note the term "believer" and II Corinthians 5:7. It is
Gnostics who claim to know, to have penetrated to esoteric knowledge of
ultimate reality.
Dave

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 02:36:57 -0800 "Don Winterstein"