Re: I wasn't "discounting" Glenn's story or his questions

From: Roger G. Olson <rogero@saintjoe.edu>
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 22:30:55 EDT

Bill,

Sorry, I guess I didn't understand your point. It would appear that our
views on Genesis have some similarity. I was answering Moorad's
(apparent?) claim about Genesis being true in the "literal" sense and that
we humans are just a bunch of ignoramuses who can't ascertain truth about
Creation via observation and must fall back to a particular
historical-grammatical interpretation of the Bible for ultimate
verification.

Saying that we will know everthing in Heaven is a tautological hedge
against using our human reason (which I believe to be a gift from God)
to come to a tentative conclusion now. The overwhelming evidence of a
careful examination of nature via the inductive-empirical method of
science leads to a conclusion of deep time and change in the biosphere
over time, in particular, of common descent. At this stage in our
knowledge, if the Earth and Cosmos turn out to be 6007 years old (ok,
maybe a few thousand more years for the "liberal" YECs), I would have to
conclusde (tentatively) that the YHWH of Genesis is a bit of trickster at
best and cruel deceiving demiurge at worst.

In God's Peace,

Roger