Re: Is there a Plan B? (was: So we're all related!)

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Sun Oct 24 2004 - 20:09:51 EDT

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> A minor point I know, but Asshur was a _post-diluvian_, so the 'Assyria' of
> Genesis 2 is hardly named after him.

But, Vernon, this is exactly the point. The author is writing to
post-diluvian readers and telling them where these rivers are located. The
lands named are all named after descendants of Noah. He is using the names
current at the time of writing so that his readers will understand where
they could find these rivers. He couldn't have cared less what these
locales or even these rivers might have been called before the Flood.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395