Re: Jesus' Wide and Profound Effect Upon Humanity

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sat Oct 23 2004 - 06:12:01 EDT

ED: ...Muslims argue that a single man, Mohammed, was contacted =
MIRACULOUSLY by
God, and his disciples were inspired to take his holy teachings =
seriously.
If there was no such miracle, then how do you explain the devotion of
Muslims, and the fact they grew to become a world religion, even taking
over Northern Africa a former Christian stronghold....=20

Don: Could it perhaps have had something to do with military conquest? =
In the translator's forward of my copy of the "Glorious Koran," =
Mohammed Marmaduke Pickthall (a fervent Muslim) says: "The number of =
[military] campaigns which [Mohammed] led in person during the last ten =
years of his life is twenty-seven, in nine of which there was hard =
fighting. The number of expeditions which he planned and sent out under =
other leaders is thirty-eight. He personally controlled every detail of =
organisation...." Muslims have seldom been shy about forcing their =
beliefs on others, through atrocities if convenient--and some of them =
still show that tendency. Having served time myself in the army, I'd =
have an awfully hard time looking up to a military man, one who's been =
intimately involved with all the atrocities common to battlefields, for =
spiritual enlightenment (--the Bible's King David being a possible =
exception). =20

As for the Mormons, I suspect their success has had as much to do with =
their professed attachment to Jesus as anything, along with their =
requirement that all their young men serve as missionaries. I've never =
heard that members of the early Christian church were required to serve =
two years as missionaries. Granted, the Mormon missionary work has had =
an effect; but the effect seems forced compared with the more =
spontaneous dynamic of early Christianity. =20

ED: ...Luke admits he was collecting stories, so we
have later theological views, and a partisan history lesson....=20

Don: After carefully considering the "we" passages in the Acts, I =
believe strongly that Luke accompanied Paul at least some of the time on =
his missionary journeys and hence that his witness is quite early. =
Furthermore, I see no need to read into this literature all the =
assumptions you make about changes over time in the nature of the =
message. Paul seems to have taken a long time to contemplate his =
conversion and message before he set out to spread the word (cf. Gal. =
1:11-18; 2:1), so I think it's particularly unlikely that his message =
would have changed so drastically with time. Many of his explicit =
comments from time to time on his own teaching strongly militate against =
any such variation in the message. =20

The variations you cite in the gospel stories are of course very much =
old hat and have given rise to much debate and speculation, but the =
conclusions you draw are not the only ones that may fit the data. I =
agree that the inconsistencies at the ends of the gospels detract from =
their credibility. On the other hand, the inconsistencies show that no =
one was forcing conformity, as was done with the Qur'an, and thus, I =
suspect, simply witness to the ordinary human inability to do accurate =
reporting from memory. =20

At the same time, If Jesus had not actually risen and shown himself, I =
cannot believe his inner circle would have had the motivation or the =
guts to make the robust and bold witness that, I believe, is at the very =
heart of Christianity. After all, these people, according to the gospel =
stories, were about as common and ordinary as people get, and pretty =
much devoid of personal ambition. Such people--unlike, say, Socrates' =
student, Plato--almost never become bold leaders under ordinary =
circumstances. Jesus' staying dead would have been an ordinary =
circumstance. What would have motivated them if Jesus had not risen? =
They would simply have drifted despondently back to their fishing boats =
or whatever. =20

ED: ...The Dead Sea Scrolls also mention that the
final judgment of the world was predicted to take place within a
generation of the Teacher of Righteousness' teaching or death. Again,
such expectations preceded Christianity.=20

Don: Yeah, lots of changes in emphasis occurred in the old-time =
religion between the period of the kings and the coming of Christ--most =
seeming to come during or after the Babylonian captivity. One of the =
big changes was the emphasis on a glorious afterlife. My interpretation =
is that Jesus recognized the truth in these concepts and promoted them. =
No way was he simply a harmonizer and promoter of extant theological =
beliefs. The power of his message always owed at least as much to his =
works as to his teachings. Without his works his teachings as we find =
them, say, in the gospel of John would have seemed simply peculiar and =
absurd and would have fallen to earth with a thud. =20

ED: ... The New Testament is older than the Old Testament was when the =
New
Testament was first written, and still no new revelations. =20

Don: That's what you think. New revelations don't necessarily come =
with thermonuclear explosions. God is Spirit, and his actions go =
undetected by skeptical eyes. =20

Don

   ----- Original Message -----=20