Re: Duane Gish in Peru

From: Jim Armstrong <jarmstro@qwest.net>
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 11:42:03 EDT

I think the premise of computing probabilities in an attempt to infer
impossibilities is fundamentally flawed - particularly when it applies
to a real natural event. The problem (as I see it) is that virtually any
natural occurrence you care to choose happens as a result of a very
lengthy chain of contingent linking events. The result is than ANY real
occurrence is almost an impossibility probability-wise, but happened
nonetheless. I happened nonetheless..... I'm sitting at a PC and
communicating with folks thousands of miles away.... Oh, there a
peculiarly mottled pebble lodged in the tread of my shoe...... Mmmm, I
just suffered a hunger pang. I think I shall go attend to this
particular impossible occurrence. :-) JimA