Re: Gematria, history of gematria, mathematical coincidences, Vernon's hypothesis

From: David Bradford <david.bradford1@which.net>
Date: Thu Oct 07 2004 - 18:17:58 EDT

Hello Walt,

That is a great observation, and one which I knew would have to be addressed
at some stage. The answer lies somewhere in the vast meaning of your choice
of words 'Christian belief'. For thousands of years belief and faith have
been the only port of entry into a relationship with God. But every so often
in the history of mankind there comes a new stage in that relationship.
Consider for a moment the experience of the children of Israel on leaving
Egypt and at Sinai. They were given the most awesome display of God's power
there has ever been, short of rising from the dead of course. They did not
need faith in the way that all subsequent generations have needed it. If
someone comes to God on the basis of faith alone then the value of that
relationship is surely beyond value. You are probably right that these new
revelations may add nothing to common Christian belief as we have known it.
So there must be some other explanation for why these signs have been given.
Some people need signs (fingers in the nail holes and all that). The answer
may have something to do with the present stage in our history. Has anyone
considered that Islamist suicide bombings are actually the complete
antithesis of Christ's message and values (for example). These are the signs
of the times. So, if the more benign signs in Genesis should be a more
direct route to knowing God for some people, should we not be helping them
to recognise this new possibility?

Regards
David