Re: Gematria, history of gematria, mathematical coincidences, Vernon's hypothesis

From: Vernon Jenkins <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Date: Wed Oct 06 2004 - 17:00:26 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "ed babinski" <ed.babinski@furman.edu>
To: "Vernon Jenkins" <vernon.jenkins@virgin.net>
Cc: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:22 PM
Subject: Gematria, history of gematria, mathematical coincidences, Vernon's hypothesis

> VERNON:
> >I'm wondering if you'd
>
> >care to comment on something I've been taxing the list with over the past
>
> >months, viz my contention that the Bible's first verse, in the original
>
> >Hebrew, is the most remarkable combination of words ever written, and a
>
> >tanding miracle. To support this claim I have prepared a brief summary of
>
> >my writings which you may find at
>
> >http://homepage.virgin.net/tgvernon.jenkins/Wonders.htm
> >Sincerely,
>
> >Vernon (Jenkins)
>
> >www.otherbiblecode.com
>

> ED: Vernon! Hi buddy! I read your article concerning the coincidences that
> you have found between the gematric values (of the first seven words in
> Genesis), and various numbers of significance to modern mathematicians.
> The first and most obvious point I would make is that discovering "Pi,"
> for instance, in the Bible does not prove that every story and teaching in
> the Bible is true, nor does it make it any easier to distinguish between
> opposing or tricky interpretations of verses and teachings in the Bible,
> nor clear up questions of ancient Biblical history, science, psychology,
> sociology, spirituality, and ethics.

Ed, you claim to have read my summary. Why then do you focus particularly on item #14 and ignore the rest? I should have thought that a balanced view of my work would make some reference to the coordinated numerical geometries which are an imposing feature of Genesis 1:1. And, by the way, the only claim I am pressing at this point is that, because of these features, this first verse of the Judeo-Christian Scriptures must be rated the most remarkable combination of words ever written. Wouldn't you agree?

> I am sure you could find various numbers of significance to modern
> mathematicians all over the place, from nature to your cereal box, if you
> looked for them with enough enthusiasm and with a wide enough knowledge of
> the entire realm of mathematics.
>
> Be that as it may, here's some questions or points to ponder concerning
> gematria, the history of gematria, and mathematical coincidences:

Ed, I have to say that, in the main, these questions are completely off-beam. As far as I am aware there are no variants in respect of the Hebrew of Genesis 1:1. The various translations are of secondary interest only - as is the history of the development of the Hebrew alphabet. Regarding an analysis of all 7-word verses in Torah: there is nothing which matches or surpasses the first verse - although, interestingly, Genesis 9:9 (" And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you [Noah], and with your seed after you;") is worthy of mention.

> [...]
> coincidences between those words' gematric values and mathematical
> figures?
>
> Suppose you discovered additional "seven word" series whose gematric
> values were filled with mathematical coincidences?
>
> Suppose you didn't, but someone with a great knowledge of mathematics (and
> more determination) did find some seven word series with an equal or
> greater number of such mathematical conicidences?
>
> Exactly how many interesting mathematical values are you aware of in both
> the realm of higher and lower mathematics (let's not limit ourselves to
> just prime numbers and pi and e). There are probably lots of intriguing
> values you can find in any seven word sequence if you know a lot about
> mathematics and the many possibly significant numbers and equations in
> higher mathematics.
>
> -----------------
>
> QUESTION OR POINT #7: Isaac Newton was fooled by Pyramidology. "Pi" was
> found, along with numerous "amazing numberical coincidences," connected
> with the external and internal measurements of the Great Pyramid. The
> earliest Pyramidologists found a few simple mathematical coincidences, and
> later pyramidologists kept building on the basic ones, finding more
> "fine-tuned" and more "amazing" mathematical coincidences. The seeker's
> mind acting like a sieve, ignores all negatively significant, or
> contradictory coincidences in favor of coincidences that she or he can
> creatively interpret as "significant," until they have a bookful of
> coincidences, while the REST of the story remains untold, the countless
> numbers of mathematical significance that were not found, or were found in
> odd out of the way verses when the entire Bible is analyzed gematrically.
>
> The articles at the websites below explain why such numerical coincidences
> are not as "amazing" as one might think at first glance. Even Christians
> eventually debunked Pyramidology claims (though it was Christians who
> first propagated such claims) and show why the discovery of "Pi"-related
> numbers in the pyramid's measurements are not so "amazing." Even a
> mathematical genius like Isaac Newton was taken in by both Pyramidology
> and Alchemy in his day and age, so no one need kick themselves for being
> taken in by gematria.
>
> http://answers.org/CultsAndReligions/pyramid.html
>
> http://www.greatdreams.com/pyramid.htm
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ancient/egyptians/pyramidology_01.shtml
>
> If you study pyramidology in depth you begin to understand how easy it is
> to "find" numerical coincidences when you "look" for them.
>
> I guess we all have a tendency to "see" what's most important to us,
> sometimes even in the most unlikely places. It's based on the way our mind
> filters information. Or as Francis Bacon once put it, "The general root of
> superstition is that men observe when things hit, and not when they miss,
> and commit to memory the one, and pass over the other."

Thank you, Ed, for your very comprehensive review of many interesting matters. However, you must appreciate that my interests and findings are far more focussed.

Sincerely,

Vernon
www.otherbiblecode.com