Re: God is not a cat in Schroedinger's box!

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 20:44:09 EDT

Glenn,

One more quick response. Then I'll be off line for 4 or 5 days.

On 10/1/04 1:57 PM, "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net> wrote:

> There is a BIG either or, which we all must deal with whether we want to or
> not. Something is either REAL or NOT REAL. There is no intermediate. God's
> existence is a binary quantity, he either is or isn't. God is not a cat in
> Schroedinger's box! God either communicated with man or he didn't--once
> again a binary option. God either told the truth or he didn't--binary. God
> either sent his son or he didn't--binary. God either created the world or he
> didn't.

In each case, you presume that you already know what the referent to "God"
is. Which "God" are you speaking of? Whose portrait of God is the accurate
one? Your either/or choices presume that you already know what the word
"God" refers to. Your choices might make sense for some concepts of God. For
others they are meaningless.

> You seem to think it is consistent for God to tell one man to chop off heads
> of non-Muslims but tell another to love your enemy. If God does both, the
> cynic in me wants to ask if He is setting us up for easy slaughter.

Glenn, don't put words into my mouth. I neither said nor implied anything of
the sort. Once again, you are choosing to overlook the distinction between
the God who is, and various portraits of God, whether accurate or radically
distorted.

Like you, I think the people who are beheading innocent people are either
detestable liars or people with a demonic portrait of God.

> Frankly, I can't believe where you have gone with your theology. It is truly
> sad.

 Glenn, you have no right to say such things until you have actually made an
effort to understand what I'm saying without putting words into my mouth.

>> 2) Does this portrait of God lead to the enhancement of the life experience
>> of those who hold this portrait and those with whom they interact?
>
> The head-choppers think so. Who can deny them that view?

I can, and I presume that you can also. Where did I say that all human
portraits of God were equally valid????

> To answer your question, it would seem that their god does give them an
> enhanced life experience. It is death to ever leave Islam.

In truth, I have no idea how they attempt, or even if they actually do, to
reconcile their dastardly deeds with their concept of God. Their references
to God may be pure lies.

>>> There is clearly a difference between certainty and uselessness.
>>
>> Agreed.
>>
>>> Howard. I see little reason to believe illusions or self-delusions.
>>
>> Agreed.
>
> I don't really see how you can agree with this given the idea that anything
> goes with painting a picture of God.

Glenn, you know that I never said that "anything goes with painting a
picture of God," Until you are willing to carry on a conversation without
this sort of distortion and misrepresentation, there's no use in continuing.

Howard