Re: Reply to Glenn's 9/11 post

From: Howard J. Van Till <hvantill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri Oct 01 2004 - 17:34:44 EDT

On 10/1/04 11:06 AM, "Glenn Morton" <glennmorton@entouch.net> wrote:

> But if everyone is busy painting self-delusionary pictures of god, it
> doesn't seem to be a very productive activity from what I can see.

Glenn, you've done it again. The only choice you offer is a simplistic
either/or: _either_ 1) Glenn's way of portraying God, or _or_ 2)
"self-delusionary pictures of God." That is a false dilemma. You have
categorically dismissed numerous other options worthy of consideration.
Example: Recognizing that even if we "give it our best shot," our portrait
of God will be incomplete and inaccurate. Nonetheless, we do our best, in
humility and candor.

> Give a cogent, objective definition of how we tell silly nonsense from truth
> when one can say such things as we are all painting our own pictures of god.

1) What is the judgment of a larger community of people?

2) Does this portrait of God lead to the enhancement of the life experience
of those who hold this portrait and those with whom they interact?

> There is clearly a difference between certainty and uselessness.

Agreed.

> Howard. I see little reason to believe illusions or self-delusions.

Agreed.

Howard