Re: smallest planet to date found

From: Bill Yates <billyates@billyates.com>
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 17:17:12 EDT

No, Howard--

Our own planet Neptune is not visible to the naked eye. This one is 50
light-years away. Planets are seen by reflected light and are thousands
of times dimmer than the illuminating star. Even if somehow the
illuminating star were not there and the planet were as bright as if the
star were there, you still couldn't see it with the naked eye. In fact,
it took a very sophisticated instrument on a very large telescope to
discern its existence.

Respectfully,

--Bill Yates

--