Re: Schaefer's Book

From: Craig Rusbult <craig@chem.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun Aug 22 2004 - 03:50:17 EDT

    Peter asks,
>is the characterization of Genesis 1 as "real and accurate" his or yours?

    Kline emphasizes -- in his PSCF-response (part of it is quoted in my
second email, along with the URL) -- that he considers Genesis 1 to be
historical. But in a framework, with the history described topically,
there CAN be a low level of "claimed detail" regarding chronological
sequence. In addition to being topical history (in the framework), Gen 1
could ALSO be chronological history, but in my view this isn't necessary;
if it's both, that's OK, but if not that's totally satisfactory. But for
many people, non-chronological = not-true, which seems too rigid.
    The things being debated in "Seely's views" are (I think) additional
and are not necessarily "neutralized" by the framework.

>PR: In fact, it is feasible that all of the following views are
>simultaneously correct - a divinely inspired message may be
>multidimensional:

    Yes, it is possible and (for most of what you list) seems probable.
But your #6 (re: the chronology of day-ages) seems optional, possible but
not necessary for a historical description.

>we are still not yet bound to discard chronology, as Armin Held and I have
>shown in PSCF 4/1999, and since then the evidence for it being

    There is lots of good thinking and writing in your paper. (I also like
most of your "Creative Providence in Biology" in PSCF Sep-2001.)

    I do wonder about "concordance" for the flood in Gen 6-9:
>CR: And what type of "Noah's flood" (global or local) would be
>consistent with Gen 6-9 and geological evidence? ...
    You say,
>PR: To be consistent with geological evidence, it must be local to Sumer
>(southern Iraq) and cannot include all humans living then (I still have
>difficulties with the possibility of Noah's reaching Jabel Judi in
>Urartu, cf. Carol Ann Hill). I think it is possible to match this
>scenario with Gen.6-9 and with biblical theology.
    Based on what I've heard from Glenn and Carol Hill, this doesn't seem
plausible. I hope "it is possible to match this" but I haven't yet seen it
done satisfactorily.

Craig