RE: Seely's Views

From: bivalve <bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com>
Date: Thu Aug 19 2004 - 19:08:27 EDT

I tend to share some of Glenn's misgivings about arguments of accommodation, but I also see the "scientific" passages as reflecting views of the day. I am more comfortable in labeling these as everyday or phenomenological language (cf. Calvin's comments on the astronomical deficiencies of ranking the moon ahead of the planets as a prominent light). Also, although the imagery of Genesis 1 and other passages certainly suggest a flat earth and a solid dome for a sky, if taken as scientific statements, they don't come out and say "the earth is flat". A flat earth and a solid dome for a sky both accurately describe their appearance to the ordinary observer and would certainly be part of the ordinary language of the day; they are still part of everyday language in our culture.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics