Re: Oil potpourri

From: George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com>
Date: Tue Aug 17 2004 - 11:57:15 EDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Koop" <koopa@gvsu.edu>
To: <asa@calvin.edu>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 10:46 PM
Subject: Oil potpourri

> After two weeks away, I have a few comments on the oil discussions.
>
> Before getting to them, let me say that I did manage to read three of
> Dan Brown's books during that vacation time--Angels & Demons, Deception
> Point, and The DaVinci Code. The author sure can weave together fact
> and fiction in a very engaging style. At some points it was difficult to
> tell whether specific events were historical or not, But I don't see
> why anyone would get carried away by thinking his plots represent
> accurate historical accounts. (But I guess that sort of question
> relates to the other major topic being discussed here now.) Anyhow you
> can tell that if I read three of Brown's books, they must be a pretty
> good read in my estimation.

With regard to The DaVinci Code, I don't "get carried away by thinking his
plots represent accurate historical accounts" because I know real history, &
church history in particular, & know that Brown's version is mostly fantasy.
The problem is that most of the people who will read the book know nothing
of church history (& this includes most Christians, especially protestants)
& don't know the difference. The result will be that a lot of people will
think that Constantine had the New Testament written, that nobody thought
that Jesus was divine before A.D. 325, & other lies. This kind of stuff is
not harmless.

Shalom
George
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/