Re: Schaefer's Book

From: Jan de Koning <jan@dekoning.ca>
Date: Mon Aug 16 2004 - 14:10:59 EDT

My reply to Peter Ruest's statements below:

Firstly, we are moving from a nine-room house, containing a large library
to a three room condominium at the beginning of next week. I really should
not let myself be drawn into a debate again. Many of us are indeed tired
of having to repeat arguments time and again, and being accused of taking
the Bible not as inspired by God. We do believe that the whole Bible is
inspired by God.

The Christian Reformed Church synod appointed a study committee of
scientists and theologians in 1988, reporting to its synod in 1991. I was
a member of that 10 member committee. Eight of us signed the final report,
one member had withdrawn for personal reasons, one disagreed on one or a
few points with us, but signed the report excepting the (comparatively
small) part he disagreed with. We all agreed about the fact that Genesis
in its entirety was inspired by God, speaking to Old Testament people in a
language they understood. His intention was to teach the people of that
time about the relationship between Him and the people living then, not to
teach what is now called science.

In the nineteenth century already there were Calvinist theologians who did
not reject evolution. One of my tasks was to search what they said. Also,
I want to repeat strongly, that all of us accepted the Bible as God's
inspired Word to His people. That means God was talking the language which
that people understood.

Please, understand, however, that repeating the arguments time and again,
at a time that we are moving becomes very tiresome. This debate has been
repeated time and again over the past ten to 15 years. So, though I every
now and again will say something, I think, that all has been, and much of
it is in the archives, I assume.

Jan de Koning