Re: Genesis 1:1 - a standing miracle

From: gordon brown <gbrown@euclid.colorado.edu>
Date: Sun Jul 18 2004 - 20:33:43 EDT

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Vernon Jenkins wrote:

> Gordon, please find my responses appended.

Vernon,

This is sometimes known as proof by intimidation. Just using the word
"clear" doesn't make it so. These statements are not clear. Otherwise
wouldn't the early church fathers have believed them rather than
expressing their puzzlement over these questions? Morris essentially
admits that the days couldn't all have been sunset-to-sunset days and
tries to find another way to make them the length that he wants them to
be.

> Let us briefly turn now to consider the sabbath - the 'day of rest'
> initiated by God according to the words of Genesis 2:1-3. This, at a stroke,
> appears to dispose of the idea that _evolution_ was God's chosen method of
> creating - for how can what is perceived as a _continuing process_ be
> reconciled with the clear words "... he (God) rested on the seventh day from
> all his work which he had made."? Really, Gordon, the special pleading
> required to account for this and the other anomalies to which I have drawn
> attention (viz the 'out of sequence' matter of the birds and land animals,
> and the making of Eve) convinces me that the conformist position is
> completely untenable.

You are changing the subject here. Long creation days do not necessarily
imply evolution, and believers in an old earth are not necessarily
evolutionists. You need to address the issue of Hebrews 4, where Genesis
2:2 is used to support the position that a true sabbath rest must be
eternal.

> > > Gary, I believe that _real_ science is limited to what has been
> _observed_
> > > by humans. So real science can tell us nothing positive about origins:
> it
> > > can tell us only that we know nothing. I hope you would accept that your
> > > philosophy is largely based upon a series of hopeful assumptions. I
> believe
> > > my logic to be stronger; we should accept God's revelation.
> > >

> > Would you empty all prisons of those who have been convicted on purely
> > circumstantial evidence since that doesn't satisfy your definition of real
> > science?
>
> I gather that you are seeking to draw a parallel between the spectacular
> achievents of forensic science in, for example, drawing important
> conclusions as to the spatial and temporal coincidences of alleged assailant
> and victim. But these usually involve a reconstruction of events from the
> _recent_ past and are based on well-established, reliable and
> generally-accepted methods. On the other hand, scientific methods of
> reconstructing _earth history_ are encumbered by many essential and
> unprovable assumptions - and are challenged by a significant number of
> competent scientists. I therefore believe your extrapolation is unwarranted.
>
> Shalom,
>
> Vernon
> www.otherbiblecode.com

Archeologists might dispute your assertion about the difficulty in
reconstructing events that did not happen in the recent past. Scientists
have done an impressive job of reconstructing some of the last days of the
"iceman" who was murdered in the Alps 5000 years ago. We can actually
observe what was happening in a part of the universe 13,000,000,000 years
ago by looking at objects that many light years away.

Gordon Brown
Department of Mathematics
University of Colorado
Boulder, CO 80309-0395