Re: Comparison of ANWR with tar sands and oil shales

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sat Jul 03 2004 - 04:48:41 EDT

Al Koop wrote:

"With regard to the oil shale, the question remains of whether we can
extract the oil with any worthwhile net gain of energy. As Steve Smith
pointed out,it takes large amounts of energy to extract the oil from the
shale. From what I have read, there is not yet any method that will
work to economically extract the oil from the shale."

Unocal was more persistent than any other company in trying to get oil from shale. They shut down their research on that only a few years ago. They must have had encouraging results to keep at it so long. Does anyone know details?

Don