Re: Hyers' Dinosaur Religion (was: HYAR'S...; Hyers' Article -Cods Wallop)

From: Robert Schneider <rjschn39@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri Feb 27 2004 - 11:34:21 EST

Regarding YHWH's female consort, I can't put my finger on the reference (it was in one of the books on Hellenistic Egypt I sold after retiring), but back in the third century, a group of Jewish mereceries and their families were settled on a island at Elephantine in the upper Nile by the Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt to serve as a garrison to protect that region. According to inscriptions unearthed there long before the island was flooded by the Aswan Dam, the Jews built a temple dedicated to "Yahu and his consort." The consort was unnamed, but it is more than likely it was Asherah the Canaanite goddess, and that these Jews had brought this religious practice with them from Palestine. "The Asherahs" were a frequent target of the prophets' wrath; as she was associated with both El and Baal, it should not be surprising that she would have been also associated with the conquerer YHWH, since the cults of both Canaanite divinities influenced the development of cultic worship of YHWH.

Bob