Re: NO GODS NAMED ON THE FOURTH DAY

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 19:06:44 EST

Bob:

Here's what I meant by "quite strong."

It makes a great deal of sense to me, that the Hebrews would deliberately
*not* name the chief gods of the peoples around them, if their point here is
mainly to deny the divinity of those very parts of the world. They're sort
of insulting those gods by refusing even to name them. And by insisting
only on descriptions (the greater light and the lesser light), they
underscore their point that these really are just physical things, creations
like us.

That's all I meant. Thus, the hypothesis that this is a creation hymn, in
my view, is strongly supported by this particular fact.

ted