Re: analysis & synthesis (Was Hyers' Dinosaur Religion ...)

From: Graham E. Morbey <gmorbey@wlu.ca>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 11:06:41 EST

It may be Don, that Genesis got its (almost?) final form and editing at
the time of the Exile. This would imply that there were several other
documents, perhaps, in circulation. Oral traditions, etc. Living in
Exile may have been a providential time to gather and reflect. I agree
with you that the people had traditions and even writings about Creation
much earlier than the Exile! It is the finished text (canon) that
scholars tried to get behind in the18th and 19th and 20th and
21centuries with a lot of cutting and pasting (sometimes with less
inclination to consider it Word of God). An influential Christian
critique of this type of literary criticism then became interested in
dating material and trying to show that it was "all of one piece"
playing down the human work of collecting, assembling, ordering,
researching, checking , etc. Thus developed a rather sterile historical
and grammatical handling of the text so far as its meaning and meanings
were concerned. Much present day biblical scholarship takes the canon
as is and is interested in the literary genres, and rich and surprising
usages of language, analogies, metaphors, allegories, etc. This is no
threat to Christian faith, only a demonstration of the richness,
diversity and power of "God's Word."

Graham