Re: Hyers' Dinosaur Religion (was: HYAR'S...; Hyers' Article - Cods Wallop)

From: Peter Ruest <pruest@mail-ms.sunrise.ch>
Date: Mon Feb 23 2004 - 00:50:16 EST

Hi Dave,

Virtually all of the objections you raise have been discussed in my paper
with Armin Held,
A. Held & P. Rüst, "Genesis reconsidered", PSCF 51/4 (Dec. 1999), 231-243;
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1999/PSCF12-99Held.html

and in our response to Paul Seely's objections,
A. Held & P. Rüst, "Taking Genesis as inspired", PSCF 52/3 (Sep. 2000),
212-214;
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/2000/PSCF9-00Held.html

Therefore, just a few additional remarks:

Your indirect reference to the YEC theory of a canopy (disappearing in the
flood) for the "waters above" is mistaken, since our interpretation has
nothing to do with that: we take these waters to represent a cloud cover as
science would describe it at the appropriate times in the course of the 4.5
billion years of the earth's development, with its extent and density
depending on things like temperature and atmospheric composition. Of course,
cloud covers occur in our times, as well.

There was no firmament, but an _expanse_ between the ocean and the region of
the clouds. - There was no ocean above it, but _clouds_. - No heavenly
bodies were fixed onto it, but _their light_ _given into_ it to enable the
terrestrial and flying creatures to orient themselves. - _In_ this expanse,
of course, the birds fly. If there are clouds, only birds that fly under the
clouds can usually be seen by an observer on the surface of the earth. In
the simple biblical language, this is the (lower) atmosphere, the space that
can be overlooked with the air which can be felt. All this fits very well
with the Hebrew expressions you quote.

The use of Ezekiel's "raqia^" to prove a solid firmament is a red herring.
Why should God's throne require a solid support - and that in a _vision_?

We are taking the explicit language of scripture seriously and as it stands,
just as you are doing, but evidently our _interpretations_ differ.

Peter