Re: analysis & synthesis (Was Hyers' Dinosaur Religion ...)

From: William Hamilton <whamilton51@comcast.net>
Date: Sun Feb 22 2004 - 15:43:52 EST

Good thoughts, George. Too bad the theologians who have gotten the
most publicity have stopped with the disassembly and neglected the
synthesis.

I do have a problem with the idea that Genesis 1 was written during the
exile. Had Hyers said it was rewritten/edited/revised during the exile,
I could be more comfortable with that. Perhaps that would have been
the result of the (neglected) synthesis you argue for.

On Sunday, February 22, 2004, at 02:27 PM, George Murphy wrote:

> Peter Ruest wrote:
>> What struck me most about Hyers' approach were two things: (1) he
>> assumed
>> that Genesis 1 was written by a "priestly" writer during or after the
>> Babylonian captivity of Judah in the 6th century BC, and (2) he
>> assumed that
>> a theological meaning (or even agenda) in Genesis 1 prevents it from
>> having
>> any historical-narrative basis, at the same time. Of course, this is
>> the
>> usual dogma of liberal theology with its destructive source criticism
>> invented more than 200 years ago in Germany by "Enlightenment"
>> "theologians"..................
> I want to comment here on just 1 aspect of Peter's post, the phrase
> "destructive
> source criticism" - which he has used before. "Destructive" is a
> bad-sounding form of
> another term which we often use in math & science, "analytic." It
> means literally
> taking things apart.
>
> In the natural sciences an analytical procedure means taking things
> apart to see
> how they work. Newton "took apart" white light with a prism - a
> procedure that Goethe,
> e.g., objected to. He wanted a what today would be called a
> "wholistic" approach to
> nature. But science hasn't gotten very far by trying to study the
> world as a whole. In
> practice an analytical approach seems to be necessary for scientific
> advancement.
>
> But if that's all you do, the understanding you'll get will be
> incomplete. It's
> what MacKay called the fallacy of "nothing buttery" to claim that a
> living thing is
> "nothing but" a collection of the individual molecules into which it
> can be analyzed -
> just as it's wrong (to use MacKay's example) to say that an advertised
> sign is "nothing
> but" a collection of lightbulbs and wires and ignore the pattern of
> words and letters
> that those elements form. After analyzing something to understand its
> components you
> have to synthesize - i.e., put things back together (at least in
> imagination) and see
> the thing as a whole. That's where "wholism" comes in, at least for
> the scientist - at
> the end, not the beginning.
>
> Things are similar with the study of scripture. In order to
> understand it in
> the deepest way you have to be willing to take it apart & study the
> individual
> components, how they came to be where they are, how they fit with
> other components, &c.
> This is what the whole practice of the historical critical method of
> studying the Bible
> is about. & when you get a text chopped up into little pieces and are
> [...]
Bill Hamilton Rochester, MI 248 652 4148