Re: Days of Proclamation

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Mon Feb 16 2004 - 06:54:57 EST

DW:>My relationship with God has nothing to do with
> whether or not he can perform certain tricks.

GRM:Does it have anything to do with him being able to tell the truth????? From
what you said above about the bible could be a fairy tale, I would not
deduce from that that a truth telling god is very important in your theology

My theology says that the number one thing God is interested in is the personal relationship. Truth, then, is whatever in the way of communication contributes to such relationship. Many facts, which we tend to call truths, are of little consequence in terms of God's objectives.

Having an account or myth of origins is essential for humans, but having one that's scientifically and historically accurate is not essential. Having an account of origins that's compatible with God is essential. The early chapters of Genesis have satisfied that requirement for centuries.

Many people including me can no longer accept Genesis' statements on origins as historically accurate. If I were standing outside of faith and contemplating my options, I could see how the apparent inaccuracies would set up a barrier. I suspect you're putting yourself in the position of just such an outsider looking in and concluding on the basis of shoddy packaging that the goods offered inside aren't worthy of you. So I agree that having a questionable myth of origins is a serious liability and no doubt keeps some from taking that first step towards a relationship with God. The account of origins diminishes in or loses importance once the relationship with God is established; but if the account appears defective in some way to outsiders, it may preclude any progress towards initiating the relationship.

So God has screwed up big time, it seems. He wants personal relationships, but he's allowed this barrier to get in the way. YECs see no barrier, but not everyone can be a YEC. Or is God satisfied with just YECs and those few others who torture the text to make it confess to our science? (No offense intended.) It's not like God to be that way.

Well, I think I have an answer; but so do you, so does George Murphy, so does Dick Fischer, etc., etc. But it's not enough to have an answer. What is necessary is an answer that comes with the power of God. The alternative is endless bickering over details and an incoherent witness to the world.

George's version is the best I've seen on this forum. He basically says that you blow right past Genesis as an account of origins (i.e., don't take it as historical) and proceed right away to the more valuable stuff. Whether people can do this or not is a question. Many seem to get hung up there right at the start. But George says the start is at the cross. It's as if the Pentateuch belongs in an appendix, not at the beginning, as something that's primarily only of historical interest.

Don