Re: Days of Proclamation

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Sat Feb 14 2004 - 06:40:26 EST

Glenn Morton wrote:

" I see absolutely no reason to believe in a God who has no idea how
the earth was created or who has no ability to tell his followers how it was
created. If he has no ability to tell about the creation (which is
verifiable), I see no reason to trust his revelations on theology which are
not verifiable. To me, such a god is not a god; he is a delusion."

I think I can understand where you're coming from. As a child and young man I also was a YEC and for a short time even a YEC extremist. But all that ended more than 40 years ago.

While my personal theology originally was almost exclusively Bible-based, after profound "religious experiences" it became dominantly God-based, and I attribute my abandonment of YEC directly to the personal relationship with God. It has become impossible for me to seriously entertain YEC views, and to argue against them seems mostly like a waste of breath. (But I'm glad that you and others are making the effort, and I strongly encourage you to continue as long as you are moved to do so. This is partly because I recognize that I'm likely to be irrelevant to any YEC.)

Now, unlike you, I can't not believe in God. For me to discover that the Bible was largely fairytale would have little effect on my faith in God.

However, from the personal relationship I know God but very little about God. What he can or cannot do in general is totally beyond my knowing. Despite this lack of information, I know God is greater than I, and I have put my unquestioning trust in him.

The Bible is still very important. It brought me to the personal relationship with God to begin with, and I see in it a partial history of God's activities in the world. I trust the validity of the overall historical sequences partly because several of them have personal meaning for me but mostly because they are consistent with God as I know him. So I accept and value the Bible because I see that it comes from God. My acceptance of God, in contrast, no longer depends on the Bible.

Some of the Bible's details, however, do not seem compatible with God as I know him. For example, much of Leviticus seems alien and uncharacteristic of God. In order for me to accept such details as being from God, I have to apply a thick layer of interpretation: God was the God of Leviticus in Moses' day because the people of Moses' day were different from us, and God could not have dealt effectively with them in any other than the Leviticus way.

(Here's one piece of evidence that people really were different then: their craving for foreign gods. Although Christians today often describe idolatry as any behavior that puts creature ahead of Creator, OT idolatry is qualitatively different. The OT often characterizes the craving for foreign gods as sexual in nature (e.g., Ezekiel 16,23). People's lust for gods back then was not like a man's skipping church now to play golf or do his tax return.)

Your relationship to the Bible now is very different from mine. You make strong demands of it. I don't demand much of the Bible, although I highly value the gems it contains. I don't know whether God is able to give us a scientific description of the creation or not; and even if he could not, I'd not respect him less. My relationship with God has nothing to do with whether or not he can perform certain tricks. What I'm confident of is that a scientific description of creation does not appear in the Bible.

Your comment on "delusion" is interesting. I think history would have judged Jesus to be delusional had it not been for his miracles. What I have to say is loony, and people would no doubt judge me to be delusional if I came out with it, as I was planning to do about a year ago. To avoid that verdict I'm afraid I may have to wait until I can work an impressive miracle or two!

Don