Re: Days of Proclamation

From: Don Winterstein <dfwinterstein@msn.com>
Date: Wed Feb 11 2004 - 19:43:45 EST

GRM: One can play this game for all eternity. Why would God give us a totally untrue story of the Creation?

DW: It's not untrue, it's just not history. In my view, Genesis 1 was the patriarchs' way of coming to terms with the world as they saw it. It was God's gift because, unlike the prevailing myths among the nations, it presented a worldview consistent with both God and their world. And the language itself conveys the gravitas of God.

The article by Conrad Hyers on Dinosaur Religion that Ted Davis justifiably praised is relevant here:
http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1984/JASA9-84Hyers.html<http://www.asa3.org/ASA/PSCF/1984/JASA9-84Hyers.html>

GRM: For someone for whom it isn't an issue, you sure present a long list of arguments for literal days. :-)

DW: I have no doubt that the author intended that "day" here should mean a particular, isolated increment of time (not necessarily 24h). This conviction does not come from imposing modern literary criticism on an ancient text. Such meaning, I think, would come through clearly to ingenuous readers in any language of any time. The text is as unsubtle and straightforward as can be. Why the author felt the creating should have been broken up into precisely those increments is obscure.

Don