Re: Kerkut\

From: Stein A. Stromme <stromme@mi.uib.no>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 10:08:33 EST

[Gary Collins]

| On Thu, 5 Feb 2004 06:00:54 -0600, Glenn Morton wrote:
|
| >I had reviewed a chapter of Alan's book prior to publication (my claim to
| >fame is that my name is next to Fred Hoyle's in the acknowledgements. Its
| >who you stand next to in life which is important!).

Not bad, Glenn!

| Oh yes... isn't he the guy who was once described (I think in either New
| Scientist or Scientific American - as "the Patron Saint of Unfashionable
| Causes"? Quite apart from his "Bacteria from Space" hypothesis, which
| was, to say the least, interesting, I seem to remember there being a bit of
| a hoo-har to do with claims that the archaeopteryx fossils are forgeries...
| A clever bloke, to be sure, but maybe a touch on the eccentric side... that
| may not be such a bad thing though.

Fred Hoyle was responsible for coining the term "Big Bang" (which he
did not believe in, at least at the time). He also thought global
warming was a good thing which should be encouraged, in order to
protect us from the next ice age.

SA

--
Stein Arild Str¯mme            +47 55584825, +47 95801887
Universitetet i Bergen                  Fax: +47 55589672