Jimmy Carter on Evolution

From: Dick Fischer <dickfischer@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2004 - 13:14:48 EST

Statement: Jimmy Carter on Evolution

http://www.11alive.com/help/search/search_article.aspx?storyid=42289

"As a Christian, a trained engineer and scientist, and a
professor at Emory University, I am embarrassed by
Superintendent Kathy Cox's attempt to censor and distort
the education of Georgia's students. Her recommendation
that the word "evolution" be prohibited in textbooks will
adversely effect the teaching of science and leave our
high school graduates with a serious handicap as they
enter college or private life where freedom of speech will
be permitted."

"Nationwide ridicule of Georgia's public school system
will be inevitable if this proposal is adopted, and
additional and undeserved discredit will be brought on our
excellent universities as our state's reputation is
damaged."

"All high school science teachers, being college
graduates, have studied evolution as a universal element
of university curricula, and would be under pressure to
suppress their own educated beliefs in the classroom."

"The existing and long-standing use of the word
"evolution" in our state's textbooks has not adversely
affected Georgians' belief in the omnipotence of God as
creator of the universe. There can be no incompatibility
between Christian faith and proven facts concerning
geology, biology, and astronomy.

There is no need to teach that stars can fall out of the
sky and land on a flat earth in order to defend our
religious faith."

"Fortunately, it is the responsibility of the State Board
of Education to make the final decision on the
superintendent's ill-advised proposal."

Source: The Carter Center

www.genesisproclaimed.org