Re: Kerkut

From: Ted Davis <tdavis@messiah.edu>
Date: Thu Feb 05 2004 - 19:57:33 EST

>>> George Murphy <gmurphy@raex.com> 02/05/04 17:10 PM >>> writes:
        Actually one of the major problems I see here is the lack of
familiarity that
most Christians have with the whole history of the Christian theological
tradition,
including biblical interpretation. This is true of many clergy as well as
laity.
What theologians have said & written for the past 2000 years isn't
necessarily
normative, but if people don't know anything about it they will always be
re-inventing
the wheel - or unfortunately, re-inventing old heresies. They will think
that some
teaching is what Christians have always believed whereas it may be an idea
that has
cropped up quite recently (e.g., pre-tribulation rapture) or has been held
only by some
relatively narrow strand of the tradition.... <snip>

Ted responds:

AMEN, brother.

This, more than anything else, is what I try to get across to my students
here and also to the general public. It's a source of nearly infinite
frustration. But I'm an historian, what did you expect me to say?! Way to
go, George.

ted