Re: Pejudice? Cowardice? Re: A Peace Proposal

From: wallyshoes <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 17:04:48 EST

All at ASA::

Let me again apologize to Glenn. This time, for not acknowledging that he often
did specify who he is talking about. It was wrong for me ever to give the
opposite impression.

I humbly grovel, apologize and confess my error to all who read this post. I am
being sincere -- not sarcastic!

That, however, does not alleviate my concern about using the general term "YEC"
when really meaning *other* than the general group of YEC believers. To say that
YECs are being deluded by people at ICR ot AiG, etc. is not a problem (IMO)
However to make a general statement like "The modern YEC is knowingly
avoiding problems and data. That isn't integrity, Walter." is a general YEC
criticism. It should have been restricted to whomever is at fault. It is the
generalizations to ALL YECs that is harmful IMO.

Glenn Morton wrote:

> Walter wrote--ignoring lots of things and doing what he decries in others:

I said attacked -- not "worry about". Please do not exaggerate my comments.

Maybe I should chosen Italians because of the Mafia activities.
Or Spanish speaking because of many illegal immigrants from Mexico.
Or Blacks because of ghetto unrest in some black neighborhoods.

> > And I do NOT believe that Glenn is justified in slamming YECs
> > just because of
> > his experience with a select group. How about identifying the
> > people of whom you
> > speak and criticize them BY NAME instead of by a category that
> > includes a lot
> > of sensible people.
>
> this chaps my you know what! I wrote in my note and YOU intentionally
> ignored:
>
> "When I sent a xerox of the following picture of a duck-like bird nibbling
> on
> the sediment, Gene Chaffin,..."
>
> and
> "I know that Gish agreed that the Bombadier beetle was a bad argument, and
> agreed with a critic not to use it again. Only in the next town he used it
> again. "
>
> and
>
> "Thomas Barnes proposed a classical view of electromagnetism as a YEC
> excercise. I pointed out to him that one couldn't build a cyclotron based
> upon his views. He agreed, but that didn't stop him from continuing to push
> his views. That isn't integrity, Walter."
>
> Walter, I don't think you have the integrity to acknowledge that I did name
> names. You are doing exactly what YECs do and what you decry in others. You
> are slamming all of us, when some of us did name names.

I agree that you named names sometimes. See my introductory comments. If you and
others *always* did that, then I would not keep harping on the subject

> And you are doing
> what the YECs do when you ignore the actual data of the names I named.
> Please quit being so pompous about your position!

Call me pompous if you like, but I hold fast to the concept that a generalized
disparagement of YECs is unchristian, not justified, and contrary to the stated
policies of ASA.

Walt

--
Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>