Re: random mutation, selection and low probabilities

From: Steve Petermann <steve@spetermann.org>
Date: Sun Nov 30 2003 - 21:35:31 EST

Glenn,

I'm sure you are right that some anti-evolutionary models would not like the
implications of the seismic processing you describe, however, it seems to me
that it actually sounds like a very viable candidate for a kenotic
intelligent design model. If the purpose of the designer is to create more
of a bounded(safe) design instead of some rigidly specific design, various
mutation schemes and their effects could be evaluated and compared to that
bounded goal. This would also mean that "imperfect" solutions would not
only be accepted but encouraged because of the novelty they produced. As
long as intelligence is used to prevent things from getting too far afield
from telos, this type of design process could be very interesting and
rewarding. It creates a safe environment, yet also one where freedom can be
expressed.

Steve Petermann

PS, when I was a research engineer at ARCO I worked on several land,
downhole, and water based seismic sources and receivers. Very fun work.