Re: Fw: Who's Burden of Proof?

From: Terry M. Gray <grayt@lamar.colostate.edu>
Date: Sat Nov 29 2003 - 19:27:12 EST

Steve,

You might check the archives from a year or go (possibly more) where
there was some discussion of David Griffin's process theology.

Personally, I have very little sympathy with process theology and
believe that it's a form of natural theology consciously divorced
from theology that relies the Biblical text. The God of process
theology is a very different sort of being than the God the scripture
and traditional Christian theology with its roots in scripture.

I am curious about your last sentence though.

>>This would also fit well with a God who creates within natural
>>mutation and selection.

The omnicient, omnipotent, omnipresent, Sovereign God of traditional
Christian theology has no problem with "natural" mutation (even of
the "random" sort) and selection. I think that one of the reasons
that the 19th and early 20th Calvinists were better able to come to
grips with evolution than other Christian theologians was their view
of God and his operation in the universe. See the last few pages of
the chapter by Noll and Livingstone in the *Perspectives on an
Evolving Creation* volume edited by Keith Miller.

Of course, process theology has no problem with natural mutation and
selection, but then process theology doesn't really know the outcome
of the design process, does it?

TG

--
Fort Collins, Colorado  80523