Origin of oil

From: bivalve (bivalve@mail.davidson.alumlink.com)
Date: Mon Nov 17 2003 - 16:24:04 EST

    >OK, I'll bite. What caused the global oceanic circulation to shut down? <

    The key factor distinguishing different bodies of water in ocean circulation is difference in density. This is primarily impacted by temperature and salinity. If there was no place near the ocean surface where relatively dense water was generated (high evaporation or low temperature, preferably forming ice) and able to sink, circulation would be a lot slower. Surface to bottom mixing is particularly important.

    Even with the relatively vigorous circulation today, there are large areas of low oxygen, so the balance between circulation and organic input is crucial. The annual dead zone in the Gulf of Mexico reflects anoxia due to the high levels of organic material coming down the Mississippi (including stuff that promotes plankton blooms in the Gulf); it lasts until enough hurricanes come through to stir things up again. Likewise, the North Pacific, currently the end of the line for ocean circulation, would be relatively easy to turn anoxic, though my paleoceanograhy professor was exaggerating when he suggested that a bunch of dead whales would push it over.

    >Incidentally Glenn, one of your arguments against transported organics forming coal was that currents would carry the organics out to sea, and therefore coal must have formed from swamps in situ. Since we know that plankton are marine and therefore transported before they were deposited, then by analogy the peat that formed coal could also have been transported before deposition. The principle is the same.<

    I think Glenn was arguing against the global flood model, which ought to put coal out in the ocean basins (which we don't see), rather than the impossibility of any transport. However, the plankton are probably not transported significantly away from their point of origin; currents will move them as they sink, but they would be in the general vicinity of origin.

    >I saw on some YEC video that oil is forming today in the Gulf of California. They showed underwater a drop of oil as it escaped from the bottom and floated up in the water. The message was that oil is not difficult at all to form under the right conditions.<

    The situation in the Gulf of California combines rapid deposition and burial with thermal energy associated with the spreading center. As a result, organic material is rapidly cooked into oil. In contrast, I believe there are some Precambrian hydrocarbon source rocks in Australia where the material has remained at very low temperatures, near the surface, over hundreds of millions of years, very gradually cooking. The YEC misuse of this that I have encountered is to claim that, because it is possible under the right conditions to form oil relatively rapidly, therefore all oil formation is explained within a young-earth framework. Although the Gulf of California oil is forming rapidly from a geologic viewpoint, I doubt that it is forming quickly enough for a young-earth view (at this particular locality). Certainly the fact that oil is currently escaping the seafloor somewhere tells us nothing about the rate of formation.

        Dr. David Campbell
        Old Seashells
        University of Alabama
        Biodiversity & Systematics