Re: Flood Paper available for criticism

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Sun Nov 16 2003 - 14:54:23 EST

    Dick

    I think you miss Paul's point. What he is saying , I think, is that early Genesis portrays things according to the cosmology of the day i.e. late 2nd millen b.c. Thus in Gen One it is according to the Egyptian style cosmology of the day and thus in terms of a flat earth (vs 6-8). It portrays rather than describes real events . So we can say that the world view of Genesis is true today and the world picture i.e. cosmology is not. I have long held this for Genesis One and am intrigued how Paul develops it for the Flood.

    I have to admit that I am more inclined to Paul's viewpoint than to yours or Glenn's but I would see all trying to do the same thing. I think we need a big tent of OEC views e.g. Glenn, you, Paul and George and respect each other and concentrate of the two problems - atheistic evolution and YEC also liberal theological views which may retain the creator but emasculate the Redeemer.

    Regards

    Michael