Re: Declining resources [was RE: Declining water]

From: Michael Roberts (michael.andrea.r@ukonline.co.uk)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 13:59:58 EST

    MessageThere is a high level of car ownership over here and if you own a sensible vehicle fuel costs in the UK are the same as costs for a SUV in the colonies. As much as I begrudge 75pence ie $1.10c for a litre of gas it does encourage fuel economy.

    Dont forget middle class kids like me were cycling 2-3 miles to school at the age of nine and lots of people used to cycle 4-5 miles to work and back. There not many days of 80 mph winds or blizzards - more in Aberdeen but rare south of there.

    I dont know what the answer is. We are dependent on cars as we live 3 miles from the nearest shop which is tiny and 6 miles from a supermarket.

    Glenn can you work out how gas would be saved by
    1, moving over to manual gearboxes
    2. smaller engines - 1.1. to 1.8 litre max

    Michael