RE: Declining water and oil

From: Glenn Morton (glennmorton@entouch.net)
Date: Tue Nov 11 2003 - 06:18:42 EST

    Kenneth Piers wrote:
    > Unfortunately, we can not eat oil directly - most humans
    >prefer normal food materials for sustenance.

    Peter brunt replied:

    >Ken, this is an interesting point. Can you back this up with facts and
    >figures? People have talked for decades of returning prodction to the
    >Sahara using purified seawater to growing plants.

    I can:

            “A city of 100,000 people using the biomass from a sustainable forest (3
    tons/ha) for fuel would require approximately 220,000 ha of forest area,
    based on an electrical demand of 1 billion kWh (860 x 109 kcal=1 kWh) per
    year. Nearly 70% of the heat energy produced from burning biomass is lost in
    the conversion into electricity, similar to losses experienced in coal-fired
    plants.” David Pimentel et al, “Renewable Energy: Economic and Environmental
    Issues,” BioScience 44(1994):8:536-547, p. 537

    Note that this is 2.2 hectares per person. There are 915,800,000 hectares
    total in the US lower 48 (less than 1% of Alaska is agricultural so I will
    leave it out), 390,311,617 in agriculture in 1987 the last Agricultural
    Census (see
    http://www.fao.org/WAICENT/FAOINFO/ECONOMIC/ESS/census/wcares/2usatb.asp)

    There are, according to the July 2003 estimate of the CIA World Fact book,
    290,342,554 people in the US. At 2.2 acres per person you need 638,753,619
    hectares, or just shy of twice what we have under agriculture today. To see
    a map of where the agriculture is today see:
    http://www.nass.usda.gov/census/census92/atlas92/html/m079.htm

    You will see that there is really only a small part of the US which is
    mostly agricultural. Finally consider this:

            'The Earth has about 11 billion hectares (28 billion acres) of productive
    land and sea space, after all unproductive areas of ice caps, desert and
    open ocean are discounted. divided between the global population of 6
    billion people, this total equates to just 1.9 hectares per person. Yet the
    WWF report shows that the ecological footprint of the world average consumer
    in 1999 was 2.3 hectares per person, or 20 percent above Earth's biological
    capacity of 1.9 hectares per person.
            "People in different countries have vastly different ecological footprints.
    That of the average African or Asian consumer was less than 1.4 hectares per
    person in 1999, the average Western European's footprint was about five
    hectares, and the average North American's was about 9.6 hectares." Claude
    Martin, "Ecological Footprints: The March Toward Destruction of the
    Environment," International Herald Tribune July 24, 2002, p. 7