Re: UK oil production lowest since 1992

From: Dawsonzhu@aol.com
Date: Fri Nov 07 2003 - 10:46:54 EST

    Gordon Brown wrote:

    > This is interesting, important, and informative, and I think it is good
    > for me to know about it, but I don't see any mention of Christian faith,
    > which is supposed to be a criterion for posts to this forum. Ken Touryan,
    > in his talk at this year's annual meeting, indicated that the energy issue
    > should be a focus of the ASA in the upcoming years. Perhaps someone could
    > show us how to make the connection.

    Good point.

    A Japanese historian I met here some time ago made the
    perhaps speculative observation that the fall of Rome
    may not have been so much the polarization of poor and rich
    with no middle class to buffer it, but the lack of energy --- in
    short wood.

    At that time, wood was a major resources for ships and fires
    to forge weapons and products of industry. Stopping the
    wood would be akin to stopping the oil today.

    I still think strong polarization of classes certainly did not help
    matters much, and even sin (Augustine's hypothesis) may have
    been a contributing factor in Rome's eventual demise.

    There are some cedar trees today in Lebanon as I understand,
    but surely not as many or even like the ones that Sennacherib
    boasted about cutting down. I wonder if Rome could have exploited
    more of the northern areas since they also built bridges there. And the
    area running through Lyon had a large settlement for transporting
    goods down the river from the North to Rome. Moreover, there was
    England which could have been a source of wood. Anyway, the
    transportation was gradually becoming more difficult, and the logistics
    and control more costly to Rome. That seems reasonable to say.

    He also observed that along with the depletion of that
    resource, people began to turn a little more back to
    religion. Christianity, so he said, could accommodate
    a more ascetic life.

    I don't claim it is all that simple myself, but maybe
    when we have finally come to nothing, that is when God
    can make something of us.

    As Christians, here again is an opportunity to hear God's
    calling and pursue a path to contribute to the future, indeed
    our future. If God is really there, I think he will grant those
    he has called the place, the opportunities, and the fortitude
    to push on through this hard struggle toward the answers that
    help in this crisis. In short, I think we have to have faith that God
    loves us enough that he will help us, in that mysterious way, to
    find what needs to be found. Part of our trouble is really a reflection
    of our arrogance and pride that we don't ask God to help us. In the
    final analysis, only God can save us. (IMHO)

    by Grace alone we proceed,
    Wayne