Re: A man of mud Re: Academics who actively support Young Earth Creationism

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Nov 03 2003 - 14:27:18 EST

    Hey George,

    I was responding to your post and really asking you to elaborate, not to get in a snit about it.

    George Murphy wrote:

    > 1st, I have not said anything about the authors' intentions.

    I know you did not. I did and I think that is the important issue.

    > 2d, one reason why "not everybody agrees" is that they were taught in
    > Sunday School to read Genesis as accurate history & have had that idea reinforced
    > by clergy who either think it is accurate history or who just don't want to upset people
    > over something they think isn't important.

    Well, I became a Christian at age 20 and I never went to such a Sunday school. However, when I got around
    to the OT, Genesis just reads that way to a causal observer.

    > 3d, you are still refusing to face the basic question of interpretation when you
    > set up "actual history" as the default setting.

    What default setting am I supposed to use?

    > 4th, as I have said repeatedly, there is both internal & external evidence for
    > understanding early Genesis not to be historical. I freely admit the influence of the
    > external evidence but it doesn't stand alone.

    The internal is what I was hoping for.

    > 5th, you apparently think that what I've said is just in the interest of
    > defending a particular interpretation of Genesis. It isn't. To be blunt, what I wish
    > is that people would learn to read the whole Bible in an adult way. If that sounds
    > elitist, so be it.

    Elitist is too polite but following Burgy's 25 rules, I'll not use any other ;).

    > 5th, since you've felt free to tell people to read a book about GA &C, I'll be
    > more specific & tell you to read _The Bible: Now I Get It: A Form-Criticism Handbook_
    > by Gerhard Lohfink (Doubleday, 1979).

    I said that because that is what I get here and there on this list. I read the books that I want to read. If
    a poster cannot make their point without ia reference text, then so be it. If you don't want to respond
    yourself, then don't bring the subject up.

    > 6th, my parallel post on concordism is also relevant to this discussion.

    Will read

    Walt

    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>

    In any consistent theory, there must