Re: Magnetic field energy loss

From: D. F. Siemens, Jr. (dfsiemensjr@juno.com)
Date: Tue Sep 30 2003 - 00:01:49 EDT

    Allen,
    This is the very kind of nonsense that Glenn described in one of his
    posts today:
    The YEC movement often makes use of the concept that facts must be fit
    into
    theories in order to wiggle out of conclusions. The thing they miss is
    that
    with lots and lots of facts, the viable theories shrink tremendously.
    That
    is why you will see YECs explaining fact A with theory A and fact B with
    contradictory theory B. Only by explaining things in the 'local' method
    can
    they explain anything. To build a logically consistent, coherent theory
    from
    ALL the facts at one time, would drive them towards the theories which
    are
    generally accepted.

    The stuff you quote only fits a brief record. Unfortunately, there is a
    long record on both sides of every midocean ridge. Not only has the
    earth's gravitational field changed in intensity, it has reversed many
    times. This is locked in in the magnetic patterns. Let me explain. At the
    midocean ridges, molten material is forced out hotter than the Curie
    point. When it cools below the Curie point, the magnetic field of the
    area at that time is locked in. Since the ocean floor is spreading from
    the midocean ridge (it has been measured), the magnetic field further
    from the ridge must be older. Since there are stripes of different
    intensities and orientations, the earth's field has changed over time.

    Of course, there is the YEC claim that continental drift was very rapid
    postflood. Given the spacing of the stripes, on that assumption the
    magnetic field flipped at decadal rates or faster. Of course,
    radio-dating puts the age of the deposits in a match with their distance
    from the ridges and the spreading velocity. All this demonstrates that
    Humphreys' article is bushwa--unless flood geology is also nonsense and
    God created everything more recently.
    Dave