Opposing Evoultionary Theory

From: Walter Hicks (wallyshoes@mindspring.com)
Date: Sun Sep 28 2003 - 17:45:48 EDT

    I would be interested in hearing from the list
    about the negative aspects of evolutionary theory.
    By this, I mean that we know that God could have
    created man directly or that he could have done so
    as an evolutionary process. I am interested in
    what the data seems to show that opposes
    evolutionary theory. I am not interested in
    hearing about various Biblical interpretations
    because that has been a pretty worn out subject.

    Background:

    I was raised believing in evolution --- as were
    about 99% of those I knew in my youth. I never
    really doubted it and I thought that Darwin was
    quite brilliant. Even after becoming a committed
    Christian, I never even heard a criticism about
    evolution for the next 20 years. I was quite
    surprised when I first heard my Christian brothers
    and sisters opposing the idea on Biblical grounds.

    Anyhow, that aside, I have studied (as a pure
    layman) the works of Darwin and began to feel
    somewhat uneasy about them. Among other things I
    failed to see any substantial evidence of this
    massive evolution of intermediate life forms in
    either the fossil record on in life forms, as we
    know them today. I would expect that we should
    have all sorts of intermediate species.
    Considering the billions of humans, we seem to be
    all still humans. Then of course, Gould noted that
    species have largely not developed along the lines
    suggested by Darwin. Instead the evidence shows
    the relative abruptness of new species. That got
    Dawkins pretty mad if I read it correctly. Even
    though Gould was an atheist, it certainly leaves
    room open for the possibility that God stepped in
    and changed things. All told, I somewhat on the
    fence at this time.

    In the book “God did it but How?” I read about
    certain shortcomings of evolutionary theory. I
    would really like to hear about those from those
    on this list who subscribe to these shortcomings
    --- or at least recognize their potential.

    Any takers?

    Walt

    --
    Walt Hicks <wallyshoes@mindspring.com>