Re: RFEP & ID

From: Steve Petermann (steve@spetermann.org)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 16:27:59 EDT

    > >>However, if Darwinian biologists are *not* able to reasonably line out
    > in
    > detail *some* complex biological designs it will prove ID.>>
    >
    > I don't think so. That's a GOG (God of the Gaps) argument.

    I don't see that. If after all their good work, accounting for some types
    of complexity by a naturalistic mechanisms seems intractable to scientists
    then their logical conclusion would be that there must be some other
    causative agent involved. Whether taking the next step to speculate on that
    agent leads to a GOG argument depends on how one sees physical reality.
    It's not a GOG argument if physical reality is not ontologically independent
    with intrinsic properties but rather its regularities are the explicit
    activity of God to maintain stability and order. GOG presupposes a reality
    that runs on its own with intrinsic properties but that is purely a
    metaphysical speculation. It can't be empirically proven either way.

    Steve Petermann