Re: RFEP & ID

From: Sarah Berel-Harrop (sec@hal-pc.org)
Date: Sat Sep 27 2003 - 10:47:49 EDT

    Re: RFEP & IDHoward, let me take a guess at what he's talking about
    here, one that has the potential to get way over my head
    fairly quickly.

    It is true that there are "evolutionists" who have derided
    "hyperadaptionist" accounts of evolution. Lewontin &
    Gould prominent examples. Their complaint has been that
    the construction of evolutionary scenarios based upon
    selectionist accounts amounts to plausible (and in some
    cases, not-so-plausible) "just-so"stories. The spandrels
    paper one example of another way to explain something's
    evolutionary history (the gene or trait is a byproduct of a
    prior choice). There are also views involving utterly random
    occurences. Go to talk.origins and ask for Larry (who is
    a molecular biologist) and you can get an earful about it.

    Lewontin in particular, and I don't know where but I will
    dig up the reference if anyone wants it, discusses
    differences in genes and proteins as what this author
    here terms as non-functional, Lewontin typically calls
    it noise. What was he talking about? The example I
    am thinking of involves 200 or so variants of I think
    hemoglogin, maybe myoglobin - that is not to mention
    the differences at the genetic level which are not even
    expressed - of which maybe three have an apparant
    difference in function. L says it's silly to look for a
    functional, adaptionist explanation for those differences.
    This author says, there's a function out there somewhere,
    you just haven't found it and if you do it will connote
    design.

    It is interesting to me to read this article that says he
    is wrong to say you should not look for function in this
    context, does the author ever share exactly how many
    differences there actually are and his methodology for
    ascribing them to design? And his comment that there is
    some kind of difference at the cellular level is interesting -
    that is actually a research question that can be done, if
    it has not already been done, and it may give useful
    information. However, to go from that to "design" is a
    big step. It seems to me that so many of these design
    arguments do not properly address the huge variation that
    exists in nature. Sure you can say that the variation
    exists for the designer's inscrutable purpose but why
    does that have explanatory power - from a scientific
    point of view - greater than this is noise. At least when
    you call it noise you are not committed to the explanation
    and you can discard it.